Sunday, October 4, 2015

The hennepin hundred -- 50 miler (10:39:29; 30/63)




I had a busy week before the race for attending a conference and giving a talk on my research at Atlanta, GA.  Because I didn't want to miss my first 50miler attempt (not sure whether it's wise or not thou), I flew back to Chicago the day before the event. I was unable to attend the mandatory meeting, but graciously I was able to pick up my bib number at the start line. It was a beautiful day until I had stomach upset. It started after mile 20 and was getting worse so I decided to call it a day at mile 28.  When arriving the aid station around mile 31 (?), I informed volunteers that I need a ride to the finish line where I parked my car. However, there was no ride. I was like in panic and sitting there for a while. Finally, I decided to walk for about 6 miles to get to the next aid station which was set up by flatlanders in Chicago.  These guys never let me stop. With lots of encouragement, I decided to move not by running, but walking to the finish line. It was a long way..I mean really..long.. I think two salt sticks helped me relive some of the stomach pain and I was able to run/walk for the last 3 miles. I was unhappy to the fact that I had to walk for almost 20 miles, but it was very nice to come back home with a 50mile finisher medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment