Sunday, March 22, 2015

2015 lakefront spring 50k race report (4:25:04, 16/165)

I picked my 2nd 50k-lakefront spring 50k- because the location is physically pretty close to where I live.  The spring 50k and fall 50/50 both are along the lakeshore trail; the only difference is the former at North and the latter at South nearby my home.

Over the last two weeks, I had been dealing with cold (runny nose+light diarrhea). It was getting worse that I had to work from home before the race day.  I was thinking -- is this really a coincidence?  Why now?  I was hoping that I could manage this well to finish the race tomorrow.

Although I got up pretty early, I could not get out of my home until 7:40 am whereas the race starts at 8:30.  I was a bit alarmed for I didn't know how long it would take to get there.  Surprisingly, it took only 15 minutes!  I picked up my race bib and had a little time to warm up.  Near the start line, I saw volunteers with flatlander hoodie and introduced myself that I am relatively new to the group. Simultaneously, someone behind me called my name.  It was Jason Kirsch whom I got to know from strava ultrarunning club (aka flatlander). I wished to see Amy too, but missed her before the race began.  

8:30 am sharp...   the race director (?) shouted: go!
We were off to the trail path.  The course was very simple: 5 mile out and back to South and to North.  I didn't know my pace for I intentionally did not look at my Garmin except the beep sound for each mile, but felt pretty good for the first 5 mile. After the turning point, we were struck by the gust of wind.  In a way, it was expected for we were running along the lake. However, it was strong... I mean really strong that I felt like I was walking instead of running. I was beaten badly by the wind, and alas...I missed a turning mark leading to the start line. While I kept moving without knowing the fact, I saw someone waving at me from a distance and directed to a different direction. Then I realized that I was off from the course.

Beginning the 2nd loop, I carefully watched the course mark not to miss again. I put only 11 miles, but felt a little fatigue, which I think from being sick.  However, going south was very pleasant (with no wind) with a clear sunny sky. I was approaching the turning point again and seemed the wind was not too bad. Oh well... heading toward north, I had to deal with the wind again. The difference from the 1st and 2nd loop was that I was mentally prepared for this.  I kept moving one step forward at a time reminding myself that I am not the only one struggling with this and tried to disassociate the negative thoughts (e.g., wind, fatigue) from me.  This time, I was safely back to the start/finish line.


The 3rd loop… honestly I was tired, but it's good to know that this is the last one. My pace got slower, but still felt pretty good all the way to 25 miles from which I walked a bit while taking my last gel (for others I took while running). I had 26ish mile in at the turning point, and got some chips and a coke and then off to finish.  The wind never stopped, but I kept moving...  At mile 27-28, I felt really tired, but knew for 3 miles I can easily jog out.  It was also encouraging to see other ultra runners cheering each other on the other side of trail too. I could finally cross the finish line with my unofficial time 4:24:59 4:25:04 (16th overall).  I needed some hugs somehow that asked the lady a favor who gave me the finisher medal.  It was a way faster than what my wife predicted; she said try to aim for under 5 hours.


First of all, I wished to thank all the volunteers!!  
Overall, I was very pleased with the course and my pace, esp. considering my physical condition.   This is the first time I didn't walk for a marathon+ distance. For me either it's a long or short distance, every single race is uneasy, but requires a different level of effort.




2 comments: